Off Season Camping
Flexible, Versatile, Affordable
- Open mid-April through mid-July and September to mid-October for non-Fair camping
- 160 acres of gently rolling woodlands, just minutes from city shopping, dining
- 2,300 sites with water and electrical hookups
- 734 sites with sewers
- Economical rates
- 24-hour security
- Fairgrounds facilities and planning staff available for larger groups and events, including groups that require a large number of camping spaces
- Severe weather storm shelter is available in the campgrounds
Off-season Camping Rates:
- $28 per night for all utilities (water, electricity and sewer)
- $26 per night for water and electricity
- $23 per night without utilities
- Extra people and extra vehicle charges may apply.
- Limited lower grounds camping is available for exhibitors during interim events.
- Different rates apply during the Fair.
For additonal information please call 1-800-545-FAIR or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
April 24th Update: We have had a delay in the camping registration software, we hope to have it up and running soon, until that time we are not taking reservations, stay tuned! Spots without registration are available.
Centrally located just off I-80 and I-35 in Des Moines, the Fairgrounds are located at East 30th Street and East University Avenue.
Northern Iowa - From I-35, take I-235 to Exit 10A then head east on E University Avenue approximately four miles to the Fairgrounds.
Southern Iowa - From I-35, take IA 5/US 65 to Exit 79 then head west on E University Avenue approximately four miles to the Fairgrounds.
Eastern Iowa - From I-80 take Exit 141 (Hwy. 65 Bypass), travel south on Hwy. 65 to Exit 79 and head west on Hwy. 163 (E University Avenue) approximately three miles to the Fairgrounds.
Western Iowa - From I-235, take Exit 10A then head east on E University Avenue approximately four miles to the Fairgrounds.
Amenities include 2,300 sites with water and electrical hookups and 734 sites with sewers. Three large bathhouses with showers, toilets and sinks accomodate thousands. A unique safe shelter, including an office and bathhouse, was completed in 2003. Five dumping stations provide convenient waste disposal for RVs and trailers.
Larger groups can also make use of Fairground facilities. These include exhibit buildings, meeting rooms, picnic shelters, arenas and large parking lots. An expert planning staff will be glad to help you with all the details that can make your event extra special, all at surprisingly low cost.
Camping during the Iowa State Fair!
It's a great way to enjoy the fun and festivities of Iowa's biggest celebration! Every August, thousands of Fairgoers from all over the Midwest park their trailers and pitch their tents during the Fair. Whether it's a vacation or a family reunion, stop by for a night - or two weeks - and experience America's classic State Fair. For more details, see our fairtime camping page.